March 20, 2020 Update: We have revised this article with updated information.
March 23, 2020 Update: Amtrak has suspended all Acela trains between Boston and Washington, DC.
March 30, 2020 Update: Amtrak has suspended California Zephyr services between Emeryville/San Francisco and Denver. Service between Denver and Chicago is still available.
April 6, 2020 Update: Amtrak has suspended the Carolinian between Charlotte and New York City.
April 10, 2020 Update: Amtrak Downeaster service is suspended entirely effective April 13. California Zephyr service resumes April 13 along the entire route between San Francisco and Chicago.
April 23, 2020 Update: Hiawatha service between Chicago and Milwaukee is replaced with a daily round-trip Thruway Motorcoach through May 25.
As a result of lower ridership on many routes due to the Covid-19 outbreak, Amtrak has reduced operating schedules on many of the normally busier city-to-city routes such as the Capitol Corridor in the San Francisco Bay Area and Northeast Regional trains between Boston and Washington, DC. Most long-distance, overnight trains continue to operate on their published schedules. Downeaster operations between Brunswick, ME and Boston are reduced to one daily round trip beginning April 6.
Due to service reductions, some stations may not be staffed. If the station is closed, proceed directly to the platform to board your train. Other services may also be impacted as circumstances change. Café service will also be suspended on select trains.
Due to the reduced number of passengers traveling on long-distance, overnight trains, Amtrak is modifying food and beverage service. Effective mid-April, the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle will offer flexible dining service in the Dining Car or via room service; Coach customers will be offered Café service in the Sightseeing Lounge. Traditional dining service will remain on the Auto Train as an exclusive amenity for Sleeping Car customers. This temporary change in service offers additional opportunities for onboard social distancing and will be effective through May 31, 2020.
Amtrak is waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before April 30, 2020. For additional information, visit amtrak.com. March 30 Update: Change fees are waived through May 31, 2020.
Service modifications are as follows:
Operating on a reduced schedule:
- Northeast Corridor: Operating Northeast Regional trains only, at 40% of normal service levels
- Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany
- Amtrak Cascades (Eugene – Vancouver, B.C.): No service north of Seattle
- Amtrak Hartford Line (New Haven, Conn. – Springfield, Mass.)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus routes
- California Zephyr (Emeryville-Chicago): No service between Emeryville and Denver
- Capitol Corridor (San Jose – Sacramento)
- Downeaster (Boston – Brunswick, Maine) Through April 12, 2020
- Empire Service (New York – Niagara Falls)
- Ethan Allen Express (New York – Rutland, Vermont)
- Hiawatha (Chicago – Milwaukee)
- Hiawatha train service is replaced with a daily Thruway Motorcoach service through May 25.
- Illini/Saluki (Chicago – Carbondale)
- Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg (Chicago – Quincy)
- Lincoln Service (Chicago – St. Louis)
- Maple Leaf (New York – Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, N.Y.
- Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo – San Diego) as of Monday, March 23
- Piedmont (Charlotte – Raleigh) as of Monday, March 23
- San Joaquins (Oakland/Sacramento – Bakersfield)
- Valley Flyer (New Haven, Conn. – Greenfield, Mass.)
- Vermonter (Washington, D.C. – St. Albans): No service north of New Haven (Monday-Saturday) and no service on Sundays
- Wolverine (Chicago – Pontiac. Mich.)
- Acela (Boston – Washington, DC)
- Carolinian (New York – Charlotte)
- Downeaster (Boston – Brunswick, Maine) Effective April 13, 2020
- Keystone Service (Harrisburg – New York)
- Pennsylvanian trains (New York – Pittsburgh)
- Pere Marquette (Chicago – Grand Rapids)
- Winter Park Express (Denver – Winter Park Resort)