March 20, 2020 Update: We have revised this article with updated information.
March 23, 2020 Update: Amtrak has suspended all Acela trains between Boston and Washington, DC.
March 30, 2020 Update: Amtrak has suspended California Zephyr services between Emeryville/San Francisco and Denver. Service between Denver and Chicago is still available.
As a result of lower ridership on many routes due to the Covid-19 outbreak, Amtrak has reduced operating schedules on many of the normally busier city-to-city routes such as the Capitol Corridor in the San Francisco Bay Area and Northeast Regional trains between Boston and Washington, DC. Long-distance, overnight trains continue to operate on published schedules.
Due to service reductions, some stations may not be staffed. If the station is closed, proceed directly to the platform to board your train. Other services may also be impacted as circumstances change. Café service will also be suspended on select trains.
Amtrak is waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before April 30, 2020. For additional information, visit amtrak.com. March 30 Update: Change fees are waived through May 31, 2020.
Service modifications are as follows:
Operating on a reduced schedule:
- Northeast Corridor: Operating Northeast Regional trains only, at 40% of normal service levels
- Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany
- Amtrak Cascades (Eugene – Vancouver, B.C.): No service north of Seattle
- Amtrak Hartford Line (New Haven, Conn. – Springfield, Mass.)
- Amtrak Thruway Bus routes
- California Zephyr (Emeryville-Chicago): No service between Emeryville and Denver
- Capitol Corridor (San Jose – Sacramento)
- Downeaster (Boston – Brunswick, Maine)
- Empire Service (New York – Niagara Falls)
- Ethan Allen Express (New York – Rutland, Vermont)
- Hiawatha (Chicago – Milwaukee)
- Illini/Saluki (Chicago – Carbondale)
- Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg (Chicago – Quincy)
- Lincoln Service (Chicago – St. Louis)
- Maple Leaf (New York – Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, N.Y.
- Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo – San Diego) as of Monday, March 23
- Piedmont (Charlotte – Raleigh) as of Monday, March 23
- San Joaquins (Oakland/Sacramento – Bakersfield)
- Valley Flyer (New Haven, Conn. – Greenfield, Mass.)
- Vermonter (Washington, D.C. – St. Albans): No service north of New Haven (Monday-Saturday) and no service on Sundays
- Wolverine (Chicago – Pontiac. Mich.)
- Acela (Boston-Washington, DC)
- Keystone Service (Harrisburg – New York)
- Pennsylvanian trains (New York – Pittsburgh)
- Pere Marquette (Chicago – Grand Rapids)
- Winter Park Express (Denver – Winter Park Resort)