In what was expected to not launch for another four years, this morning Toronto’s Go Transit commuter train service brings daily options to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Previously, summer time weekend trains only served Niagara Falls in addition to selected VIA Rail trains.
Ontario’s transportation minister is calling it a “start” of enhancements for those who commute between Niagara Region and Toronto. Jeff Yurek announced that regular weekday, commuter train service will launch today between Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Toronto’s Union Station.
The start of this commuter train service into the region fills “a serious gap in our transportation network,” says Yurek. He added that the service expansion comes four years ahead of schedule through the partnership with the CN Rail.
Also starting today, GO train is extending some trips and making other changes on the Kitchener line to provide more morning and evening service between Kitchener and Georgetown, more morning trips out of Mount Pleasant and Brampton, and another afternoon option for those travelling to Bloor, Weston, Etobicoke North and Malton GO stations.
Niagara Falls Service – Lakeshore West line
- The existing weekday 6:39 a.m. eastbound trip from West Harbour GO will now begin at Niagara Falls at 5:19 a.m., stop at St. Catharines at 5:41 a.m. and continue on to West Harbour, making all stops to Clarkson then running express to Union Station as usual and at the current times.
- The existing weekday 5:15 p.m. westbound trip from Union to West Harbour will be extended to make a stop at St. Catharines at 7:22 p.m., and arrive at Niagara Falls at 7:47 p.m.
- The trip that previously left Georgetown GO at 6:48 a.m. trip will now start from Kitchener GO at 5:40 a.m., with earlier departures along the line, and arriving at Union at 7:43 a.m. The number of train coaches on this trip will now be 12 instead of 10.
- The 3:35 p.m. trip from Union will be extended to Kitchener GO, making stops in Acton and Guelph, and arriving at Kitchener at 5:43 p.m.
- The 5:02 p.m. trip from Union will be extended to Kitchener GO, making stops in Georgetown, Acton and Guelph, and arriving at Kitchener at 7:11 p.m.